It’s happened to me. Many times.
A viewer doesn’t like my lawyer video content. The only way for them to voice their frustration is to leave a comment on my video. It’s amusing to see other comments follow an obnoxious one. Those are usually flattering and admiring.
In fact, the majority of people who leave comments on my attorney videos thank me for providing such great content.
But really, what do you do when a viewer leaves a nasty comment directed at you?
Let’s explore your options:
- Do nothing.
- Delete the comment.
- Block the viewer from further comments on your videos.
- Get other viewers to respond to the comment.
Remember, when you post a lawyer video to YouTube, or anywhere online, it becomes part of the public domain. It’s available for anyone in the world to view. Not everyone who watches your attorney videos will agree with the positions you take or your content.
You should expect, from time to time, to get negative comments either about you personally or about the topic you are discussing.
How you react will depend on the comment. Let me give you some guidelines that should help you decide which course of action to take if this happens to you.
- If the post is racist or curses, delete it and block the user. Simple.
- If the post is offensive and crosses the line, delete it.
- If the post disagrees with your content, keep it and then begin a dialogue. Start to teach your viewer, in a respectful way, why your position is valid even though he disagrees. Try and get your viewer to interact with you in the posts and replies and keep the conversation going.
- Just like in jury selection where you make an example out of one juror in order to teach the other jurors that this person has the wrong viewpoint, you can do the same here.
Remember, this is a social network. That means you MUST interact with people who leave comments. If you go to a party and someone makes a comment about you, either negative or positive, are you going to walk away and ignore it, or are you going to respond to set this person straight? Same thing with viewers who leave comments on your videos.
Invite other viewers to comment and tell you their position.
Following these guidelines should help you when deciding what to do when a viewer leaves an undesirable comment on your YouTube video.